10 August 2020
Breaking News
Friday, 27 March 2020 22:39

Government to start a Green House Vegetable Project in Lilongwe

Written by  Joseph Dzuwa
Dr Njoloma -breifing journalists Dr Njoloma -breifing journalists

Lilongwe, March 27, 2020: Importation of fresh vegetables from other countries will soon be a thing of the past following a mega multimillion Kwacha project dubbed ‘Greenhouse Based Vegetable Farm’ which government is yet to launch.

The project, which will be implemented in partnership with a private international company-INOSSELIA, aims at producing vegetables such as tomatoes, lettuce, cabbage and cucumbers at Kamuzu International Airport Development area in Lilongwe.

Green Belt Authority Chief Executive Officer, Dr. Henry Njoloma told journalists during the visit to the project site on Thursday that the Government of Malawi has so far injected K4.2 billion into the project.

According to Njoloma, government will have 49 per cent of the shares in the project while the other 51 per cent will belong to INOSSELIA.

“There will be import substitution, creating marketing to high scale retailers in Malawi by substituting imports from South Africa.

“Malawi will be exporting products to regional markets since the project has a component of agro-processing and agro-industries to achieve high quality products,” he said.

Njoloma added that apart from bringing forex and savings from exportation of products, the project will also have a training centre which will offer skills in horticulture.

He, therefore, called for multisectoral approach with other sectors such as agriculture for the project’s smooth implementation.

Airport Development Limited (ADL) Chief Executive Officer, Rhoda Misomali said her organisation had provided land to the project as part of its operations where it supports economic endevours around the airport.

Misomali said ADL has provided 27-hectare agricultural production units  and 16 hectares of land for construction of greenhouses on lease to implementing partner INOSSELIA which will be returned together with the infrastructure in future for the benefit of the citizens of the country.

INOSSELIA Country Director, Michael Gorelik said currently, four greenhouses are under construction and will be completed soon.

He said first planting of the vegetables will be in June and by August they will start harvesting to supply in the local super markets.

Gorelik said the Green House Vegetable farm will be the largest in Southern Africa Development Community (SADC) Region by international standards where there will be 16 greenhouses, a training centre and 200 Malawian employees.

He further said the farm will be producing plenty fresh vegetables worth exporting, which he said would be easier as the farm has been located just near the main airport (Kamuzu International Airport) in the country.

“Yield per week for tomatoes will be 4.5 tons, for cucumbers it will be 80 tons, Bell Pepper will be 3.5 tons while lettuce will be 25,000 tons and 20,000 tons for cabbage.

“This will be a game changer in the market of fresh vegetables in the country,” Gorelik said.

The project will be implemented in a Public Private Partnership (PPP) arrangement

Features

Dykes facilitating settlement in disaster prone areas

Dykes facilitating settlement in disaster prone areas

Phalombe, August 4, 2020: Zainab Maida and her family could still have been holding double temporary-settlements if the community did not make any effort in the management of a dyke constructed in her area in 2012. For the past 10 years, she has been in marriage, the 40-year-old mother of five cont...