Print this page
Wednesday, 27 June 2018 08:10

MACRA sets September 30 as new deadline for sim registration

Written by  Catherine Mwanvani
MACRA sets September 30 as new deadline for sim registration Pic sourced from internet



Blantyre, June 26, Mana: The Malawi Communications Regulatory Authority (MACRA) has set September 30 as the final deadline in which all non-registered sim cards and generic numbers should be registered.

Speaking at a press briefing organized by MACRA and attended by mobile companies and members of the press, Director General for MACRA, Godfrey Itaye said the regulatory authority through its board has now set September 30 as the new date for all existing phone users to register their sim cards.

“Every mobile phone user who has not yet registered their sim card should register before September 30 to avoid any inconveniences that can emerge as a result of not complying with the requirement,” said Itaye.

Itaye further said MACRA has set July 01 as the date for all new sim cards to be registered. Every sim card purchased from July 01 will have to be registered within a maximum period of seven days from the date of purchase.

“Failure to register a sim card after seven days of purchase will lead to complete deactivation of the purchased sim card,” said Itaye.

It is expected that sim card registration will prevent fraudulent activities which rob the country of its much needed forex; the process will also assist law enforcers to track criminals who use phones for illegal activities.

Telecom Networks Malawi (TNM) Chief Commercial Officer, Dan Makata said the sim registration exercise will assist in lessening the current rampant act of stealing money through fake messages which are sent to subscribers.

Makata, however, observed that on the onset of the sim registration, the situation was chaotic but now their network company has put everything under control as a result of a mounting service points and kiosks in all strategic areas of the country.

“Currently as TNM, we have already registered 40 percent of our customer base, we are hopeful that the remaining 60 percent will be registered by September,” said Makata.

Meanwhile, MACRA says it will continue conducting awareness campaigns to encourage people to register as well as ironing out all misconceptions associated with the sim registration exercise.