19 September 2019
Breaking News
Wednesday, 30 January 2019 06:14

CHRR worried over inadequate funds towards youth services

Written by  Steve Chirombo

CHIKWAWA, January 30, 2019: One of the country's leading human rights organizations, Centre for Human Rights and Rehabilitation (CHRR) has said inadequate funding is jeopardizing delivery of youth friendly services.

 

The organization has since asked government to step up and put more efforts in ensuring that more resources were put to improve the same.

 

CHRR Senior Advocacy and Resource Mobilization Officer, Michael Kaiyatsa made the remarks in Chikwawa on Wednesday when his organization and Centre for Youth Empowerment and Civic Education (CYECE) took a lead in a Sexual Reproductive and Health Rights (SRHR) advocacy session.

 

Kaiyatsa hailed partners implementing the Youth Friendly Health Service (YFHS) programs in the district, calling on them to pull up socks in their coordination and communication.

 

"We feel there is a need for government to do more particularly in allocating more resources on issues to do with YFHS.

 

"There is a report from a 2018 study which was conducted by the Centre for the Victimized Women and Children (Cavwoc) which showed that government allocates very little resources towards YFHS especially through the DHOs office," he said.

 

He added that there was a need to put in more seriousness in addressing challenges the young people were facing in areas of Sexual Reproductive Health Rights (SRHR).

 

Kaiyatsa hailed implementing partners of the program for putting in resources towards the same, complementing government's efforts in promoting YFHS.

 

"But let's not forget that YFHS program is government's and is not an NGO program. NGOs come and go. So what will happen once an NGO leaves especially on the sustainability," wondered Kaiyatsa.

 

The Senior Advocacy and Mobilization Officer further appealed to government to seriously take a leading role, saying it should consider YFHS program a standalone initiative by also allocating its own budget for its smooth and effective implementation.

 

Acting Director of Health Services at Chikwawa DHO, Stalin Zinkanda said in most cases, funding would not be enough and that activities that are put up in the DIP were all funded according to priority and funding allocated to the district council by the treasury.

 

He said there was a need to look beyond money, citing the infrastructure, human resources, equipment and the vehicles which all require government support.

 

"Health financing is 25 percent supported by the government through the national budget and the other 75 percent comes to us through implementing partners," he said.

Features

PRESS RELEASE: NO PERMISSION WILL BE GRANTED FOR DEMONSTRATIONS

PRESS RELEASE: NO PERMISSION WILL BE GRANTED FOR DEMONSTRATIONS

Government would like to inform the public that it has decided not to grant permission for demonstrations planned by the Human Rights Defenders Coalition (HRDC) to go ahead from Wednesday, 28th August 2019. As such, Government would like to warn all citizens to ignore any notice of demonstrations a...